Chadar is not meant for Mass Tourism. It is fragile and precious. Chadar has limited carrying capacity and mass tourist treks cannot be operated as it is a threat to the flora, fauna, and ecology at large.
In recent cases of casualty at Chadar, the District Administration and ALTOA decided safety measures- such as Medical Check-up, Insurance, and Medical Rescue Centre. There will be single window clearance system at the TIC, Leh (Tourist information Centre) opposite J&K Bank, Leh
Hence, for the safety of the environment and to work with sustainable tourism practices, the following decisions are implemented.
1. It will be mandatory for all tourists, foreign and domestic to have medical insurance when they apply for Chadar trek failing which the permits shall not be issued.
2. It will also be mandatory all the tourists to undertake pre medical checkup before the trek.
The following SOPs shall be followed on their arrival in Leh:
1. Mandatory 3 nights stay in Leh on Arrival for Rest and Acclimatization
2. Day 3 – Get Medical, Insurance, Wildlife Permit and ALTOA NOC
3. Persons found medically unfit will not be issued Clearance
4. Anyone found in violation of these rules will attract strict measures from the District Administration.